At IM&M we are committed to providing advice on best practice alongside practical products and services that help you maintain a safe operation. Our aim is to give you all the information you need to know on the new SOLAS Regulation XI-1/7; what the changes are, the spaces they apply to and how to comply with them with the help of IM&M.
What the new SOLAS Regulations XI-1/7 are.
In July 2016 SOLAS regulation X1-1/7 comes into force requiring the need for appropriate atmosphere testing instrument or instruments for enclosed space entry. This has been introduced in the wake of numerous preventable deaths on board vessels, caused by the presence of unsafe atmosphere gases. These regulations help to overcome the threat of intoxication by ensuring that vessel operators have the necessary awareness, training and instruments to test enclosed or confined spaces from the outside to make sure they are safe to enter.
The requirement covers all vessels subject to SOLAS and is linked to the January 2015 changes to SOLAS that required all crew members to participate in enclosed entry and rescue drills on board vessels every two months.
Due to the time difference in the two linked regulations, the IMO also issued circulars [MSC.1/Circ 1485 and MSC.1/Circ 1477] to encourage early implementation of the equipment aspect and guidelines to help owners and operators select the appropriate testing instruments
- It is not enough to simply provide testing equipment as part of the personal protective safety equipment for your crew members.
- The testing instruments required should form part of the ship’s equipment and be maintained accordingly.
- You must put in place procedures to test enclosed spaces for the following gases from outside the confined space, prior to entry:
- flammable gasses or vapours
- carbon monoxide
- hydrogen sulphide
- Failure to comply will make a ship liable to detention after inspection by Port State Control (PSC)
Spaces the new regulations apply to include:
- Cargo Spaces
- Double Bottoms
- Fuel Tanks
- Ballast Tanks
- Cargo Pump-Rooms
- Cargo Compressor Rooms
- Chain Lockers
- Void Spaces
- Duct Keels
- Inter-Barrier Spaces
- Engine Crankcases
- Engine Scavenge
- Air Receivers
- Sewage Tanks
- Adjacent Connected Spaces
How IM&M can help you comply with the regulations:
We stock a wide range of safety items including:
- Portable gas detectors and calibration gas
- Breathing apparatus and resuscitation equipment
- Gas detection tubes
- Lifting, rescue handling and hoisting equipment
MSA Altair 4X
Designed for situations where entry space is confined, providing personal safety before and during entry. Measurement of oxygen, flammables, hydrogen sulphide and carbon monoxide with alarms to alert the user before the on-set of dangerous conditions.
MSA Galaxy GS2
The Test Stand uses a sophisticated internal processor and simple to use touch screen display for the configuration of calibration parameters, gas detector settings and for gathering instrument data.
Honeywell Impact Pro
Designed for situations where entry space is confined, providing personal safety before and during entry. It measures oxygen, flammables, hydrogen sulphide and carbon monoxide with alarms to alert the user before the on-set of dangerous conditions.
The Enforcer calibrates Impact multi-gas monitors fitted with Oxygen, Flammable, Carbon Monoxide and Hydrogen Sulphide sensors in less than two minutes. Volumes and flow rates are minimised to allow approximately 200 calibrations per cylinder of gas.
To download our brochure outlining the key SOLAS Regulation changes and the products that IM&M have available; Click the download button.
It also contains a handy checklist to help you ensure you achieve compliance.Download
We also stock a range of fully compliant products for adherence to other regulations:
PPE for surveyors conducting Confined Space Entry:
Space & rescue drill equipment for use in the event of an emergency situation
- Protective Clothing
- Safety Shoes / Boots
- Hard Hat
- Work Gloves
- Protective Glasses or Goggles
- Ear Defenders / Ear Plugs
- Multi Gas Meter
- Breathing Apparatus
- Resuscitation equipment (air not oxygen)
- Lifting harnesses
- Dedicated hoisting equipment
- Stretchers for both horizontal and vertical hoisting
- Reliable intrinsically safe communications and lighting equipment